Istambay sa Mindanao

Personal blog of MindaNews' Walter I. Balane. Visit www.mindanews.com for more news, views and information on Mindanao.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Malaybalay City, Bukidnon, Mindanao, Philippines

I'm Walter Balane. I am a journalist based in Malaybalay City, Bukidnon, Philippines. I initiated the group called Atong Press (www.atongpress.ning.com) for press freedom and responsibility and media education in Bukidnon.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Updates: Legislating an environmental 'litmus paper'

It was a busy session day, it was a boring session day.

But there were more people on Aug. 8, than it has been in the session hall of Davao's city council. It was the day Councilor Leo Avila presented his committee's report on the proposed ordinance banning aerial spraying in all agricultural plantations in Davao City.

The city councilors appeared in their any-session day garb --all looked in their best. I walked in opposite direction with three elderly councilors in their "best suit"and I though I was not properly dressed in my "around Mindanao" get up.

But the gallery was a study in contrast. Around 100 farmers and villagers were seated in the audience. Wearing a pair of shorts and slippers, Manong Tado, from Sirib in Calinan glued his look to the people in the hall. At one point, his underarm smell escaped. Then in another, he dozed off in the air-conditioned room, with mouth open.

At the end of the day, Manong Tado walked out with other pro-ban people after the councilors decided to defer decision on the matter.

Read my report.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Accident boating nationwide Download website templates ftp Santa clara vanguard electric wheelchair

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home