Istambay sa Mindanao

Personal blog of MindaNews' Walter I. Balane. Visit www.mindanews.com for more news, views and information on Mindanao.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Malaybalay City, Bukidnon, Mindanao, Philippines

I'm Walter Balane. I am a journalist based in Malaybalay City, Bukidnon, Philippines. I initiated the group called Atong Press (www.atongpress.ning.com) for press freedom and responsibility and media education in Bukidnon.

Friday, August 25, 2006

Freeman

Just moments after posting "Conscience List" in this blog, I received an unsolicited text message from a "friend" who frequents Istambay sa Mindanao. I was advised to take out that entry because it will "diminish" my aim for objectivity as a journalist. "That is so unprofessional and unbecoming". Then I was advised to have balance in this blog. Well thank you for your 2 cents worth!

I am happy that this shoestring endeavor pretending to be a blog has its few followers. Very few to be exact. Honestly, I average only 15-20 visitors a day (excluding my own visits). That's one reason I wonder high why my "friend" is worried. I'm sure it gets circulated, I know this is the internet.

Thank you for your concern. But this is a PERSONAL blog. Nobody tells me what to post or not to post here.

And you tell me to learn how to accept defeat. What defeat? Ah OK. The 173-32 vote. OK. I got you. I should understand why you think like that. You only think this is just the affair of the members of the House of Representatives. That's your call. Me? I would rather make the people decide after this.

Besides, even if my opinion is alligned with the opposition, whom many I also doubt, I don't really mind. I refuse to be boxed in partisan politics where people are stripped off their humanity and polarized as if life is just about administration-opposition.

My intentions go up higher than that. This is not just an exercise of political rights, but a matter of keeping humanity intact. This is not just becoming humane, but human. Basic!

I will speak up my mind. I will post more dissenting blogs. I will continue to advance the truth. I will continue to adhere to justice, fairness, transparency, and democracy.

That is where my aspiration to be a professional journalist is founded.

It doesn't matter if my mind speaks the language of the losers in the impeachment bid. I dont mind because in that sense losing means courage, quest for truth, justice, transparency, integrity, heroism, peace of mind, and a million other noble things of virtue.

Certainly, I don't want to speak the language of the victors, if it means allegiance to accused cheaters, obstructors of justice; mediocre, corrupt, flawed leadership--those who could not lead by example, those who do not give a chance for truth to pacify the mind of a free people.

I do not want to be among the victors if that means having no balls to stand by the principles that built this nation.

I will continue to be human even if I'm a journalist confronted with all the lures of the world to put personal interests over the public's.

I pray to God for guidance, provision and protection as I live humanity like a freeman. At least, I aspire to be.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

This is a great post, waltzib.

I agree readership numbers don't matter in a blog - but you probably have no idea how many people read your RSS feeds!

1:36 AM  
Anonymous Monster Paperbag said...

Payter ka, bai.

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home