Istambay sa Mindanao

Personal blog of MindaNews' Walter I. Balane. Visit www.mindanews.com for more news, views and information on Mindanao.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Malaybalay City, Bukidnon, Mindanao, Philippines

I'm Walter Balane. I am a journalist based in Malaybalay City, Bukidnon, Philippines. I initiated the group called Atong Press (www.atongpress.ning.com) for press freedom and responsibility and media education in Bukidnon.

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Updates: What is up in Guimaras?


kitoy01
Originally uploaded by waltzib.
Since it is far-far away from Mindanao, I almost did not feel the effects of the oil spill in Guimaras Island between Negros and Panay Islands. That is until a schoolmate from UP Miag-ao in Iloilo blogged about it yesterday.

I used to live in Iloilo as a student and as a very young worker. Most of the time during weekends, friends and I cross the Guimaras Straight to enjoy the beach and the sun in the island. The distance between Jordan or Buenvista towns in Guimaras and the wharf near Gomez St in downtown Iloilo City is just a little farther than that of Sasa Onse and Babak in Samal Island.

I really love the countryside, especially the shoreline. In fact I remembered a good friend of mine and I went biking along a stretch of road along the beach in Nueva Valencia town, Guimaras during sun down. I also went to Taclong Island marine reserve where UP runs a research center.

What will happen to beautiful Guimaras with the oil spill? What lessons could be learned by us in Mindanao from this experience? (Photo taken not in Guimaras; but in Mati, Davao Oriental courtesy of Keith Bacongco)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay kaayo ka, maayo kay you have time for this, am glad =)

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! »

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! » »

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! Quadropleagic wheel chair

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home